Wednesday 6 December 2017

Travel: Festive Shopping in Den Bosch


Traditional food, cobbled streets as well as unique shops. Den Bosch is perfect for a winter getaway to pick up some individual and festive gifts.


canal-side autumn colours in Den Bosch


Den Bosch

I’d never visited The Netherlands prior to my recent press trip with NBTC and, when I’d asked friends about the places they had visited, the response was always the same ‘Amsterdam.’


Whilst Amsterdam certainly seems like a firm favourite amongst friends (and I am planning on going myself), I was always intrigued by the places others may not have seen.


Den Bosch (or ‘S Hertogenbosch if we’re using the city’s full name) was the first city on the list for the press trip and was fairly easy to get to by train from Schiphol Airport (around 45 minutes I think.) Though, luckily for me, I had fellow bloggers Ellie & Sam with me to navigate the train journey.


Christmas at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport


Exploring traditional Den Bosch

Colourful city streets of Den Bosch


On arrival, we were greeted to a quaint city with cobbled streets and a nostalgic feel to it.


bikes and canal reflections in Den Bosch

Unique festivities in Den Bosch

The main market square (which reminded me of the square in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang) has a really traditional vibe to it, with an organ playing music and local sellers on market stalls. Though this was my first encounter of The Netherlands, it crossed my mind that you couldn’t find a city more traditionally Dutch than Den Bosch.


Traditional Dutch City Den Bosch

Canals in Den Bosch

Traditional Dutch architecture in Den Bosch

Biking in Den Bosch Netherlands

Fagel Deli in Den Bosch


Colourful unique streets of Den Bosch


Autumn Canal reflections in Den Bosch

Den Bosch has a warmth to it, it’s picturesque and kind of made me feel like I was stepping back in time or looking in on a movie set.


On the trip, we were getting a taste for some of the city’s best restaurants as well as meeting local retailers.


Uniquely decorated shops in Den Bosch


As we arrived early, we popped into The Yogurtbarn for a hot drink and a light bite. The Yogurtbarn is the cutest little cafe with rustic tables, exposed brickwork and quirky features. Not to mention the Instagram-worthy food!


Brunch at Yogurtbarn Den Bosch

Brunch at Yogurtbarn Den Bosch


Brunch at Yogurtbarn Den Bosch

Hot chocolate in Yogurtbarn Den Bosch

Instagram: @yogurtbarn

Robbies


Our meeting place was Robbie’s, a concept store and cafe full of festive charm.


Robbies Concept Store Den Bosch

Christmas Decor in Robbies Den Bosch


Tin soldier Christmas gift in Robbies Den Bosch


Voted The Netherlands number one experience store, Robbies is a unique store that occupies a former bank building, where the original vaults can still be seen.


Vault at Robbies Den Bosch

Store owner Nikkie Wolfs is full of passion for the brand, which was a dream she turned into a reality and, one in which she is looking to expand across The Netherlands. Nikkie regularly ventures abroad to discover new trends and brands to give her inspiration, giving her experiences which she credits for her entrepreneurial success.


Visiting Robbies is like stepping into a winter wonderland and you can’t help but be swept up in the Christmas festivities. The store is full of trinkets, decorations and beautifully crafted stocking fillers.


Driving home for Christmas at Robbies Den Bosch


festive table Robbies Den Bosch


Travel the world glitter bauble Robbies Den Bosch


Red car driving home for Christmas Robbies Den Bosch

gifts from Robbies Den Bosch


The cafe is the perfect spot to grab a bite to eat whilst you’re out shopping. We dined on mushroom soup and quiche with salad for our welcome lunch, which set us up for a day of shopping.


Mushroom soup and quiche at Robbies Den Bosch

Salad at Robbies Den Bosch

mushroom soup at Robbies Den Bosch

quiche at Robbies Den Bosch


Instagram: @robbies_365

Coca & Sebas


It would be rude to visit Robbie's without visiting chocolatiers Coca & Sebas next door...




Coco & Sebas chocolatiers Den Bosch

Coco & Sebas chocolates Den Bosch


How cute are their penguins and mushroom chocolates!





Westside


Fashion and contemporary art is on display in trendy Westside. 












The store has an upstairs art studio, which provides young artists with a showroom to display their carefully curated works of art. The 60s and 70s furniture made me reminiscent of my grandparent's house and I’m convinced they had the same sideboard below complete with matching record player.





I thought my birthday trip to Lisbon was colourful, though it’s not just the art that is injecting some colour into Westside, check out their rainbow range of gloves.





Hype Heroes


This store has the coolest range of denim jackets, which can be customised into your chosen design. In fact, Hype Heroes is the only store in The Netherlands that make distressed customised denim. They had a fabulous butterfly customised jacket, which I loved...obviously!







They also have some fabulous handmade bracelets.


Instagram: @hypeheroes


Stadsherberg ‘t Pumpke



Now, no visit to Den Bosch is complete without trying the Bossche Bol: a cream filled, chocolate covered puff pastry originating from Den Bosch. After tasting, I can tell you reminded me of a giant chocolate eclair!




San & Mam/XWork


Next stop was San & Mam and XWork, two contrasting brands combined in one store.


San & Mam have beautiful clothing made from luxe fabrics, including this season’s favourites tweed and velvet. They also have a great range of diffusers. But, what really caught my eye (other than their friendly resident doggy) is their array of gorgeous scarves. I literally could’ve bought them all and as I liked so many I couldn’t narrow them down to purchase one!







XWork is a brand that is proud of its Dutch heritage, with all their products handmade in The Netherlands. After originally starting as a production company making belts, four years ago they expanded their range to include bags and are looking to branch out across Europe.




Piet Zoomers


Another store I loved is Piet Zoomers, a department store selling Dutch and International brands. Similarly to Robbies, this store also has a fantastic Christmas collection and I loved how the trip to Den Bosch brought about my excitement for the festive period.







I couldn’t leave without picking up this t-shirt! I have a thing for slogan tees this season and I loved the Brit vibes as well as the price at a mere 12 euros!




I loved visiting traditional city Den Bosch, as the city gives a unique shopping experience, enabling visitors to pick up some really unique gifts. It is perfect for a winter getaway. I had no idea quite how festive I would be feeling after visiting Den Bosch, such a heart-warming city.





Curious about where we dined and where we stayed?! Don’t worry, I've shared all the details in my Den Bosch at Night post - click here to read.


Jaz

xoxo

*This was a press trip to Den Bosch with NBTC, whose trip itinerary showcased some of the best fashion stores and eateries in the city. Though, thoughts as always are my own ✌*


Similar Post

Travel: Fashion Finds in The Hague





SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig